I glanced at my calendar today and saw that it is Australia Day. This of course, roused my curiousity so, being the librarian that I am, I looked it up. As it turns out, Australia Day is a day when Australians celebrate their country and culture. Learn more about the history of Australia day.
There are all kinds of celebrations all over Australia today. Check out the Australia Day Experience to see how the different states and territories are celebrating today. You can also learn more about Jessica Watson, Australia’s Young Person of the Year. Can you believe she sailed all around the world BY HERSELF?
You don’t have to throw any shrimp on the barby (but if you do, please invite me), but you can take a moment by reading a book by an Australian author here are just a few to start:
- Markus Zusak (I LOVED I am the Messenger)
- Margo Lanagan (Tender morsels was definitely…different :))
- Justine Larbalestier (I hear her Magic or Madness series is very good)
- Jaclyn Moriarty (Try The year of secret assignments, I thought it was quite fun)
- Melina Marchetta (fantasy fans should definitely read Finnikin of the Rock)
- Shaun Tan (The arrival is just too awesome for words)